Pilates Exercise for Rehabilitation
Pilates workouts done consistently with proper form can rehab injuries and help prevent future injuries. Whatever your age, whatever the injury, Pilates can help you. Level of fitness and age will never be a factor at West LA Pilates. The workout can be tailored to the individual as it strengthens and tones the abdominals and back safely and quickly.
Rehabilitation Specialties Include:
- Lower back problems such as disk bulges/herniation
- Neck pain and/or stiffness
- Shoulder injuries, scar tissue & weakness
- Knee pain, weakness, torn meniscus, arthritis
- Foot/ankle injuries & weakness
Pilates for Seniors
Pilates is ageless!
At West LA Pilates we aim to make everyone, regardless of age or abilities, feel better. Stretching is a great way to ease back into movement and exercise. You will increase your flexibility, improve your posture, and add more energy into your life. Your body will begin to move more comfortably. You will feel better, which can make you feel younger. We have clients in their 80′s, and they are strong, vibrant, and healthy. It is NEVER too late to start. Your instructor will help design a program specifically for you.
Pre & Post Natal Exercises – Pilates for Pregnancy
Pilates is a great way to stay in shape and connected to your body throughout changes in your pregnancy.
It is a safe form of exercise for keeping your upper back & hips strong and supple through the development of your pregnancy. Pilates is particularly good at strengthening the pelvic floor to aid in comfort while carrying as well as helping with strength and endurance during labor. Maintaining a healthy upright posture and building up overall core strength is important throughout your pregnancy, and is especially beneficial after delivery when you will find yourself carrying your newborn, diaper bags, car seats, etc.
Pilates benefits for mothers:
- Develops proper toning and conditioning to get into “birth shape”
- Facilitates easier and shorter labor
- Reduces stress and releases anxiety
- Decreases low back, mid-back, and neck pain
- Shortens birth recovery time
- Prevents chronic musculoskeletal injuries e.g. carpal tunnel
- Combats muscle atrophy and imbalances resulting from pregnancy ensuring lower back pain relief
Pilates Training for Athletes
With Pilates athletes can run faster, hit harder and jump higher, all with better form, to reduce the risk of injury. Pilates Training for athletes has been a growing phenomenon over the last 70 years. Pilates is one of the best forms of conditioning a serious athlete can participate in. In conjunction with our Sports Chiropractor, Dr. Wilson Park, we have developed unique exercises for athlete’s individual needs.
POTENTIAL IMPROVEMENTS FROM PILATES WORKOUTS INCLUDE:
- Core muscle development
- Improve runners’ speed and endurance
- Enhance hand-eye coordination for agility sports
- Increase balance for dancers and martial artists
- Pain relief and decreased recovery time from injuries to the back, shoulder and neck area
- Reduce muscle imbalance (underdeveloped inner thigh muscles and overdeveloped outer thigh muscle)
Pilates emphasizes breathing and helps to integrate the trunk, pelvis and shoulder girdle. Using correct spinal and pelvic alignment, combined with smooth flowing movement, an athlete can access each part of the body individually thus becoming familiar with the functional mechanics.
Contact Dr. Park (310) 869-0536 for personalized information on how Pilates training can help you in your sport.
Foam Roller Exercises
At West LA Pilates, we teach you the best techniques and forms to maximize the benefits of using the foam roller.
What is a Foam Roller? It is a large foam cylinder, usually 4 feet in length, that can be used to stretch, train, and rehab your body into shape. Overall body and back strengthening exercises are easy & safe but very effective.
The Benefits of the Foam Roller:
- Inexpensive, lightweight and easy to use in Pilates training
- Allows you to get a better stretch of the primary muscle groups
- Improves coordination, balance, and proprioception (nerve to muscle communication)
- Helps develop core strength
- Strengthens and tones many different areas of the body.
- Massages and breaks up unwanted scar tissue and muscle tightness
For your own home training we offer foam rollers for sale for $30.00 each.