Pilates is a great way to stay in shape & connected to your body throughout changes in your pregnancy.
It is a safe form of exercise for keeping your upper back & hips strong and supple through the development of your pregnancy.
Pilates is particularly good at strengthening the pelvic floor to aid in comfort while carrying as well as helping with strength and endurance during labor. Maintaining a healthy upright posture and building up overall core strength is important throughout your pregnancy, and is especially beneficial after delivery when you will find yourself carrying your newborn, diaper bags, car seats, etc.
Pilates Benefits for Mothers:
- Develops proper toning and conditioning to get into “birth shape”
- Facilitates easier and shorter labor
- Reduces stress and releases anxiety
- Decreases low back, mid-back, and neck pain
- Shortens birth recovery time
- Prevents chronic musculoskeletal injuries (e.g. carpal tunnel)
- Combats muscle atrophy and imbalances resulting from pregnancy ensuring lower back pain relief